Saturday, January 4, 2014

PREPARE! Dangerous Cold Weather COMING

All over the Internet the headlines 
are now screaming that 
RECORD COLD WEATHER IS COMING!
By Pamela Rae Schuffert presenting investigative journalism from a Biblical Christian perspective-

But of course, life must continue as usual, or at least try to. People must drive to work, pick up children from school, travel to various locations to shop or visit, etc. This means that vehicles must be used regardless of the cold temperatures or amount of wind and snow.


IS YOUR VEHICLE PREPARED IN CASE OF 
A WEATHER EMERGENCY ON THE ROAD??? 

Do YOU have all the basic survival essentials packed away in your vehicle, should you unexpectedly find yourself stranded on the highway or Interstate? What if the roads are icy or blocked with falling snow, and you find yourself detained by a huge car pileup as a result? Or what if your vehicle should slide off the road or down an embankment?

Do you have BLANKETS? Emergency food and water supplies? Extra gloves and socks and boots and emergency daypack in case you have to walk to safety and temporarily abandon your car? A large umbrella or waterproof outerwear to protect from the elements and to stay dry?

Thankfully, I DO have a vehicle that is fully equipped to withstand major road emergencies. After living out of my vehicle periodically for 13 years now as I travel on the road to perform my investigative journalism, I have learned by experience HOW TO PREPARE MY VEHICLE TO FACE ANY EMERGENCY.

With uncertain times coming to America, and the real possibility of MARTIAL LAW BEING DECLARED, it is important for all PREPPERS to take the time and finances to prepare their vehicles to face emergencies while traveling on the road.

Below is my report revealing what I have done to prepare my vehicle to successfully handle most emergencies on the road, including life-threatening circumstances.
*****************************************

Much of the USA is still staggering under the weight of the first major snowstorms of 2014. Pictures of huge care pile-ups on major interstates and highways can be found everywhere. In many places, motorists have been temporarily stranded as accidents caused hours, even overnight delays on the highways across America.
The cold air blast has also hit the region where I am now in western North Carolina. Last night the frigid cold air came in with a vengeance, with wind gusts of up to 60 MPH. Sleeping in my SUV was to prove a challenge as the temperature went down into the teens with high winds.

However, after years of car camping to facilitate my traveling nationwide for my journalism, I have developed the skills essential for safely surviving in my vehicle throughout the winter season. And last night (01/03/2014), even as the winds shook my vehicle and the temperatures grew colder, I slept as snug as a bug in a rug! Not a hint of cold penetrated my nice warm bed in my SUV.

I have survived car camping trips in the winter in wilderness regions of Wyoming and Montana and beyond. I have safely endured sleeping in my unheated vehicle at high altitudes (8,000 feet or so) with the temperature dipping to -32 degrees below zero. I have been snowed in my vehicle by blizzards in areas such as West Yellowstone, Montana, where the winter temps can reach -52 below.

Having lived on the road most of the time in the past 13 years, I have gone through numerous winters living in my vehicle. Through such experiences, I have developed a vast amount of experience regarding how to successfully live and survive in my vehicle, and do so safely and comfortably.

In my roomy Chevy Tahoe SUV, I have put all the rear seats down and installed a Coleman inflatable queen size mattress. This mattress has been covered with flannel sheets. Then, it has been topped with a basic and inexpensive sleeping bag, unzipped and opened to cover the whole top of the mattress. 

On top of this has been placed a foam mattress and a woolen blanket. All this is to provide insulation and sleeping comfort, so that the cold air cannot some up from beneath in the air mattress.

A functional comforter has been placed on top of all this, finally topped with a four-sheepskin rug, thick and furry. All this layering is essential to provide ultimate warmth and comfort on my mattress in colder temperatures.
The unbeatable MARMOT winter sleeping bag

On top of me is a MARMOT 40 degree below zero rated down sleeping bag, unzipped to form a broad covering. Beneath this incredibly warm sleeping bag, I use a thick blanket as well. The sheepskin rug beneath me, coupled with the power of down and a warm blanket covering me, serves to create incredible heat and comfort.

Last night I was literally rocked to sleep under the stars by the blustery winds, as they buffeted my SUV. How warm did I feel throughout the night? Picture if you will, two nice slices of toast from from the toaster, with a slice of butter placed between them, melting from both sides from the hot toast. I was the butter! Warm and toasty, no pun intended.
I have just described one way to effectively safely sleep comfortably in your unheated vehicle in the winter. I also leave one window slightly cracked to provide fresh air all throughout the night.

STOCKING YOUR VEHICLE WITH 
PRACTICAL SURVIVAL GEAR

I also have stocked my vehicle with much practical survival gear. To provide emergency lighting, I have several flashlights, a head lamp, a "candle lantern" and numerous candles for it, plus matches and lighters and even a magnifying glass. I also have a powerful twelve volt rechargeable spotlight flashlight for road  emergencies.

To protect my body, I have several pairs of warm gloves and thick woolen socks, and several sweaters. Over my sweaters I wear a rainproof/windproof shell. I have several warm winter hats as well. A pair of sneakers (for warmer weather) and hiking boots for winter to protect my feet are also stored in my vehicle. 

For very snowy and windy weather I also carry a pair of professional snow goggles with automatic defoggers built in. A snow mask to protect my face is also a part of my gear. Snowshoes are in the top cargo carrier of my SUV.

To transport much of my safety/survival gear, in the rear of my SUV I have inserted a cargo carrier platform. Two heavy duty lockable trunks rest upon it, chained safely to this platform. Inside one of them I carry food supplies and a large supply of bottled water. In the other trunk I carry jump start cables, oil and various auto fluids, Coleman camp fuel and propane, and other auto supplies as well.
This cargo carrier is available at WALMART and other stores near you.

On top of my SUV I have a large cargo carrier topper that is able to contain my essential basic survival backpack with many supplies, plus snowshoes and hiking poles, bathroom items (soap and shampoos, toothpaste and deodorants, etc.) (Actually, I am in the process of replacing my much smaller cargo carrier with a nice Yakima skybox, largest model to effectively contain more essentials.)



Inside my SUV I also have hung three travel clothing poles on the hooks inside, near the ceiling. 
Clothing rack to hang on hooks  in your vehicle.

Carabiners are clamped on and hanging from these poles, from which I can hang battery powered lanterns, or mesh bags filled with various camping/travel supplies.
Carabiners clamped onto racks, on which you can suspend lanterns, 
hang mesh bags for supplies, etc.
Mesh storage bag that can be suspended 
from carabiner that hangs on the rack.

Inside these mesh bags I have various survival supplies such as my candle lantern, extra candles, camping knife sharpeners, extra batteries of various sizes, a box of disposable hand warmers and much more. 

Important roadside emergency supplies should include: roadside flares and even a flare gun should your vehicle go accidentally go off the road. A quality jack or hydraulic lift for emergency flat tire changes. A 12 volt air compressor to fill your tires when low. Several cans of "Fix-a-flat." Extra oil and other essential fluids for your vehicle. Extra fuses of different kinds. Extra gasoline in a safe, approved container. Proper wrenches and tools to change a tire. A rechargeable jump starter for when your battery goes dead comes in very handy. A small portable propane heater for emergencies.

A shovel and bag of kitty litter are handy to help your car regain traction whenever stuck in the snow.

Don't forget important paper products such as disposable wipes and paper towels and toilet paper as well. Personal hygiene needs will continue throughout every emergency, unfortunately.

A MEDICAL EMERGENCY SUPPLIES DAYPACK is also an important part of my survival supplies in my vehicle. I have packed a daypack backpack with assorted medical items such as bandages of assorted sizes, surgical tape, tweezers, scissors, an EXACTO razor knife (emergency minor surgery), assorted sewing needles and floss suitable for emergency sutures and stitches, alcohol wipes, disinfectants, pain killers, ace bandages, antibiotics, disposable rubber gloves, and more.

HOW TO PREPARE HOT FOOD AND WATER 
IN YOUR VEHICLE

No bug-out vehicle can be complete without a twelve volt  food cooker and a twelve volt coffee maker/hot water heater. Both MAX BURTON and ROAD PRO manufacture 12 volt food cookers for your vehicle.
12 volt food cooker
12 volt coffee maker/water heater

Both ROAD PRO and MAX BURTON manufacture these items. You can find them in most truck stop plazas. Or order them online, even on www.AMAZON.com. Imagine being able to enjoy hot oatmeal and a cup of hot coffee or chai, made right in your vehicle! I have, many times. And they work wonderfully, and are reasonably priced as well.

***********************************

Be creative, resourceful and innovative as you prepare your vehicle to withstand any emergency, especially in the winter with temperatures that can be life threatening. Refuse to be a victim of your circumstances while traveling on the road. 

Remember that your bug-out vehicle may become your only home for a very long time under martial law. Equip your vehicle therefore to provide maximum comfort, safety, provision and benefit for you and your loved ones during times of crisis coming to America.

And trust me: someday you will be VERY glad you did!
Don't be caught without the basics in an emergency!

-Pamela Rae Schuffert reporting from across America-

1 comment:

  1. You are a very resourceful woman, kudos to you and thanks for the good advice and suggestions. Thank you for the work you are doing to keep your fellow citizens tuned-in to the sometimes hidden pieces of unreported/underreported news.

    ReplyDelete