Saturday, November 24, 2012

Emergency Report December 2012

Transitions can often very difficult in life, especially unexpected transitions. I never expected that several weeks ago I would be forced through increasing health issues to leave my beloved Kotzebue, Alaska, and the people I love, and have to relocate to a more temperate climate.

Life was becoming more and more difficult for me, even as I struggled to continue to help Lisa as she flew to the Eskimo villages surrounding Kotzebue. As the colder temperatures began to set in, heralding the arrival of another brutal Arctic winter, my body began to protest vehemently. Excruciating pain began to form in my hands and arms, and in my joints as well. At times I could not sleep at night due to the pain. I even tried investing in kitchen appliances and cleaning devices that minimized use of my hands, in the hopes of reducing pain so I could continue to help Lisa and her family and continue to minister to Eskimo locals in Kotzebue.

But nothing worked, and my health was deteriorating alarmingly as the cold increased. We finally realized that nothing was going to help except relocation, and so with great regret and tears, I made plans to relocate back to Montana where I had originally come from to help there.

Upon learning that my work had been primarily volunteer for Lisa's family, Lisa's father kindly offered to help me get a car so I could work in Montana to support myself financially. I returned, purchased a used vehicle immediately and began the task of finding a job to support me and my ongoing ministry in Montana. A precious elderly woman has let me stay in her home temporarily until I can get full time work and provide for a place to live. I exchange, I provide volunteer home health care for her physical needs. She is poor and in need of much assistance, and so I do what I can to bless her life.
What made this transition so difficult, is that I had no home to "go home" to back in Montana. And with no family or parents to be able to turn to for lodging or assistance, this has been a difficult time in my life. Essentially, I am homeless. This is difficult, but especially at the Christmas season when it is extremely depressing. Driving by homes with colorful lights and lovely decorations, observing families gathered around fireplaces enjoying the warmth of home and family, can often make a person with no home or family feel  sad and lonely.

But through experiences like this, I can experience a closer kinship with the Son of God, whose birth many celebrate at this time of the year. For He too knew the sadness and loneliness of homelessness and nowhere to lay His head. He was born, not in a home or a medical facility, but rather in a stable used to house animals, and laid in a manger rather than a bed. He Himself once stated, "...but the Son of man has no where to lay his head."

Paul the Apostle wrote, "That I may know Him, and the fellowship of His sufferings..." 

Apparently Paul believed that an important aspect of knowing Jesus, was to participate in sufferings similar to His. I can state that going through the trials of faith God has allowed in my life, has made me a much more compassionate Christian and sensitive to the sufferings of others. It has also drawn me closer to God to find the love, the comfort and help that I need. I am a better Christian because of such experiences.

However, I will share with my readers, that at this point, my limited finances have been almost exhausted. 

Amazingly, I was hired  temporarily to ring bells for Salvation Army kettles in this area (to being next week), but did not even have sufficient money for gas for the first two weeks I would have to work before getting paid. I also do not know how my body will tolerate standing 8 hours a day in the Montana cold ringing bells, after my body's response to the cold in the Arctic. 

Yesterday I was forced to pawn for a cash loan, my beloved new musical instruments I planned to use for ministry in this area during the Christmas season, just to get money for food and gas. I am now living mainly on dried beans and oats, so I can stretch my limited funds for gas until I can start to finally get paid.

I am mentioning this need  for assistance from my readers for emergency  funds for food and gas, only as a temporary need at this critical time. I have many job applications out for full time work in home health care and child care, etc.,  and am praying for them to come through quickly. 

It will be my joy to be able to fully provide for my own needs and support my ministry through my work at last. I believe in working hard to provide for my ministry and my personal needs. And one of my greatest joys is to become enabled to GIVE to others and minister to their needs.

But until the desired job(s) come through, I have found myself in a precarious position of being in between jobs and in great need. Any temporary  emergency support at this Christmas season is gratefully welcomed and received.

You can send all emergency financially support to: 


Pamela Rae Schuffert, PO Box 2396, Columbia Falls, Montana, 59912.

Already, God is opening mighty doors for me to minister to people locally, including ministering to the elderly in nursing homes, and today (Saturday, Nov 24) to Mandy, a recovering drug addict, now a born-again Christian, who was excited to spend time with me as I ministered words of love and encouragement to her and prayed for her as well.

Pray for me to get the right jobs and living circumstances, so I can quickly become involved in powerful ministry to the local people in Northwest Montana. Your prayers and support are so appreciated at this challenging time of transition.

Blessings to you all this Christmas season,

-Pamela Rae Schuffert
PO Box 2396
Columbia Falls, Montana 59912

No comments:

Post a Comment